If you follow me on social media, especially Instagram, then you know I have an irrational love for all things Pumpkin. The fall for me is all about Pumpkining (not sure if that’s a word, but I like the way it reads and sounds). Sadly, my fascination with this product of the Cucurbitaceae family is not shared by my family. My girls just don’t get the awesomeness of Pumpkin-flavored anything. Clearly, I have failed them.
[But they do like pumpkin patches, so there’s that.]
Since today is #NationalPumpkinDay — it’s true, it’s trending everywhere and has a hashtag; it must be true — I figured I’d do my civic duty and help you guys figure out the best way to celebrate this momentus day.
Here are five of the most delicious delights including Pumpions, as the Brits used to call it, that I’ve had the pleasure of trying this season. Read, enjoy, and get Pumpkining!
1. The Jamba Juice Pumpkin Delight – Tried this smoothie for the first time during a recent trip back to NYC, and WOW. It’s basically Fall in a cup. so much pumpkiny goodness. It’s made with actual real pumpkin, cinnamon, nutmeg & almond milk, so even vegans can enjoy it. I’m a longtime fan of Jamba’s Pumpkin Smash, but this is now my go-to Pumpkin smoothie.
2. Cracker Barrel Pumpkin Pancakes – Just about everyone has their take on pumpkin pancakes. I’m here to tell you, they all take a backseat to the fall flapjacks at everyone’s favorite roadtrip comfort food joint. Fluffy, colorful and delicious, the Pumpkin Pancakes at Cracker Barrel are the bomb-diggity. Bonus points: the CB’s all natural syrup bottles are a nice touch for food Instagrammers.
3. Trader Joe’s Pumpkin Spiced Pumpkin Seeds – Given the cornucopia of Pumpkin products available at Trader Joe’s, it’s understandable if one or two gems get overlooked. Don’t make the mistake of letting this one escape your grasp.
The pumpkin spiced pumpkin seeds are AMAZING. I don’t all-CAPS for nothing, folks. Trust me, it’s highly likely that once you rip open a bag of these seeds, you won’t stop eating until you’re at the bottom. In which case, I suggest you take the remaining crumbs and put them in a bowl of Pumpkin O’s & milk (I’m not joking). You can’t go wrong with a number of Trader Joe’s pumpkin stuff — I recently bought a dump truck’s worth — but these seeds are a nice and different take on the pumpkin craze.
4. Einstein Bros Pumpkin Walnut Crunch Bagel – I’ve had pumpkin-flavored bagels before and I’m usually underwhelmed. This carb wheel got me right in the taste buds, though. The crunchy topping was a bit messy but worth it for the tastiness. Not sure if they use actual pumpkin in the making of the bagel, but if authenticity matters to you, then just add the Low-Fat Pumpkin Shmear. That’s right, PUMPKIN SHMEAR. and it’s low-fat, though if you slather as much on the bagel as I do, you’re defeating the purpose of the whole reduced-calorie thing! Anyway, it’s the holidays, calories don’t count! If there’s an Einstein Bros near you, go & try this bad boy, but definitely add the pumpkin cream cheese for the full effect.
5. Krispy Kreme Pumpkin Spice Cake Doughnuts – Full Disclosure: I write this soaking in a pool of pumpkin tears over the fact that I won’t be able to try today’s One-Day only Pumpkin Spice Original Glazed Doughnuts (seriously, Krispy Kreme? How can neither of your Miami stores have these? It has me feeling all …
So this entry is with a qualifier because while KK’s annual seasonal treat, the Pumpkin Spice Cake doughnut, is my favorite of the pumpkin donut offerings, I have no idea how the pumpkin original glazed taste. Still, these are pretty great. Mainly because unlike most donut shops that just add a flavored topping to a plain cake donut, Krispy Kreme’s doughnuts have the taste baked in. Makes a big difference.
BTW, not even these glorious pumpkin doughnuts impress my girls … and they LOVE doughnuts! So weird how they won’t give Pumpkining a try.
There are many, many other pumpkin products I’ve tried the past few weeks. Remember, I pumpkin so you don’t necessarily have to. But, let me know what pumpkin-flavored stuff you and your family enjoy, in the comments or hit me up on Instagram or Facebook.
OH, and here’s photographic proof of my Pumpkinsanity: my recent haul from Trader Joe’s. huzzah!